Wednesday 30 May 2012

Recipe - Pork and Apple Burgers

It's been a long time since I posted a recipe on here, and I don't really know why, as I love to cook, and I like to try and make up healthy, tasty meals for my family. I think perhaps I'm intimidated by the wonderful, detailed food I see some people blog about, where as my meals are just simple - but good - grub!

This one is a favourite in our household, especially when the weather is hot like it has been lately. The whole family can eat these juicy burgers - baby (10 months +) too!



Pork and Apple Burgers
(prep time 10 minutes (plus 30 mins chilling), cooking time 15 minutes)

You will need (makes 6 burgers):

500g Pork Mince
1 Dessert Apple (I used Gala this time)
1 Medium Egg
1 Tbsp Dried Sage
⅛ Tsp each of Salt and Pepper (leave these out if cooking for a baby or toddler)

To cook :

  • Take the pork mince and the egg out of the fridge (if that's where you keep your eggs) and wait 5 minutes, so they're not as cold when you are mixing.
  • Peel and grate the dessert apple, and squeeze the excess juice out using a paper towel. If the apple is too juicy the burgers don't bind as well.
  • Place all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl, and knead them all together with your hands, until well combined, and all sticking together.
  • Break the mixture into 6 equal portions, and shape each one in your hands to form a patty. Place them on a plate, cover with cling film, and put in fridge for 30 minutes.
  • Heat a griddle pan to a medium-high heat, spritz with spray oil, and cook burgers for approx 15 minutes, turning a few times. The burgers are ready when the outsides are golden brown, and the juices run clear. Try not to overcook as they aren't as juicy if they are cooked too much. (You could also cook under a grill, or on the barbeque!)
  • Serve on a bap with an apple chutney and some cheddar cheese. For lunch serve with a salad, for an evening meal add some potato wedges. 
  • For a baby (I've said 10 months + as my 10 month old enjoys these, but be aware I'm not a baby food expert, and remember to never leave a baby unattended whilst eating!) serve half a burger cut into chip-sized chunks, with peeled and steamed sticks of carrot and pepper:


These burgers taste so much nicer than any shop-bought ones that I've ever tried! 

I'm linking this post up with:


So what do you think - should I share more recipes on here? x

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum. I like the taste of apple and pork together- savory and sweet. I've made apple butter pork chops before and they were tasty.

Thanks so much for linking up and sharing on my Mommy Solution meme!

Sian said...

Lovely clear photos and instructions Jennifer!

Alison said...

These DO look good!!
Alison xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...